The Shanghai Lions were founded in 1996 by Brian Mcloskey and converted into the Shanghai Lions Football Club in 2012 after having merged with Les Blues.
Our aim is to be the BEST Amateur Club in Shanghai and to help to develop amateur football in China. We are participating in the two major football leagues, the Shanghai International Football League [SIFL] and Shanghai Premier League [SPL].
We are also playing in the new Shanghai Veteran League and the Seven aside We Play League. We have created a Lions U18-U16 team now going into its third season and are going to start a Lions Girls U18 team this season. As well we are in the process of establishing our own Youth Academy for the younger ones aged 4-12 years old !
We have serious training for our Senior teams on a full size pitch every Wednesday in Puxi and in Pudong for our Youth teams. Today we have 6 teams and over 75 members and hope we can expand our Club with more motivated and committed players.
We organize our own football events, such as the Lions Cup 7-aside tournament and the Lions Summer 7’s during the summer break as well futsal tournaments during the winter.
- Saturday Senior team is playing in the SIFL. The SIFL is the oldest and most competitive Football League in Shanghai with over 22 teams competing for the Championship each year. Teams are from all over the world several Chinese Teams are participating as well. Players are aged 18-35 years old. Last season we won the Championship for the second time in a row ! Most of our games we play at the Shanghai Rugby and Football Club at Waigaoqiao. On Saturdays the SRFC is packed with people active in a variety of Sports.
- Sunday Senior team is playing in the SPL. The SPL was founded 11 years ago and is one of the only Sunday Leagues in Shanghai. This season they will have 12 teams from all over the world competing for the Championship. Last year our Sunday team won the SPL title unbeaten for the whole season ! Players are aged 18-35 years old. The SPL teams play on the best grounds of Shanghai
- Jinqiao Biyun Road field (Goldenbridge Field)
- Century Park Puma field
- Shanghai Rugby and Football Club
- Monday We Play Senior team playing in the 7’side We Play League. That League has 12 teams and is a 7 aside competition held at the Luwan Stadium
- Youth team.
- Lions U16. This will be our second year to have our own U16 team. The team consist of boys aged 14-16 and they will train weekly and play games against schools or local teams
- Lions U18. This will be our third year to have our U18 team. The team consist of boys aged 16-18 and they will train weekly and play games against schools and local teams as well participate in tournaments. Talented players will be invited to play in the Senior teams and can get valuable experience to play with the men. Either in the leagues or tournaments
- Lions Girls U18. This will be our first year to have a girls team. The team consist of girls aged 15-18 and they will train weekly and play games against schools and local teams as well participate in tournaments.
- Veterans. We play in the Shanghai Veteran League held at the Shanghai Football and Rugby Club. Total 10 teams take part and you need to be aged above 35 to play / Currently we are No1 in the standing. We also take part in Veteran Tournaments which are very popular in Asia such as the Shanghai Masters Cup which we won twice.
- Youth Academy. We established our own youth academy for young players aged 4—12 trained by our own best players and in cooperation with Coerver Coaching Skill training. This year will be our first season.
In the near future we like to add more youth teams to our club and are aiming for over 100 members. There are not many Sports Clubs in Shanghai and that make us unique as a true Amateur Football Club on top we have a long history of winning competitions!
- 7 x SIFL Champions
- 4 x SIFL CUP winners
- 2 x Hebiguchi Cup winners
- 9 x SPL Champions
- 6 x SPL CUP winners
- 2 x Shanghai Masters winners
- 4 x Shanghai Summer 7’s winners
- We also won international amateur tournaments in Phuket, Hangzhou and Xiamen
Last but not least, we were voted “Best Shanghai Sports Team” by That’s Magazine thru public vote in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and 2013 !
This being said, we’re overall “New Player” friendly as we have various football level option to offer. If you’re interested, please drop us an email with a short description of your football background and motivations to join us.
Lions FC partner up with St James’s Place Wealth Management
Lions FC is pleased to announce that with the help of Daniel ISAAC we have entered a partnership with St James’s Place. They are one of the leading Wealth Management Companies around the globe based in London. We will organize events for the Lions where they can get free advice about investments and wealth management. We like to build a good and solid future for the Lions Fc together with ST James’s Place !